There comes a time in many accident cases when you may be presented with an offer from the insurance company and you have to decide whether or not to accept it. Here are some questions to ask yourself:
1) What are the chances of doing better at trial? If chances are not at least 75%, then you should entertain the offer.
2) Is the offer in the ballpark? If so, consider the offer. You could get more but you could get less. Is the gamble worth it?
3) Do the potential costs outweigh the potential benefit? Are you willing to spend $10,000 to obtain an additional $10,000?
4) Are you prepared to battle for more? Litigation can take a toll on you and your family. The toll is financial but also mental. Is it worth it?
5) Are you aware of the financial downside? Some attorney ads can lead one to believe there are no financial downsides....only upsides to an accident claim. Make sure your lawyer makes you aware of the possible downsides.
by Robert Mansour
Robert Mansour is a personal injury lawyer serving Santa Clarita, Valencia,